Thursday, January 27, 2011

Governor’s Island, NY Commanding Officer’s Quarters 1st floor plan



Your Ad Here



Check out these Planning images:

Governor's Island, NY Commanding Officer's Quarters 1st floor plan

Planning


Image by army.arch

First Floor Plan of the Commanding Officer's Quarters. This was drawn by the WPA in 1937 [From the Library of Congress].

The Commanding Officer's Quarters (the Coast Guard Admiral's Quarters from 1966 to 1996) was designed in the Greek Revival style by architect Martin E. Thompson in 1843. The Quarters is over 12,000 square feet and the interior has been designated as historic.

The northern half of Governor's Island is a National Register historic district #85002435. It's also a National Historic Landmark. The National Park Service runs Castle Williams and Fort Jay as a National Monument. The rest of Governor's Island is administered by the Governors Island Preservation and Education Corporation. The island is required by law to have no housing (which is a shame - I think the Presidio model works very well).

The island is open to visitors only on the weekends from spring through fall. If you're ever in New York City, I would highly recommend taking the free ferry over to the island and explore. You can even rent a bike on the island.

Project 365 #288: 151009 Making Plans

Planning


Image by comedy_nose

Actually, that's a stinking lie. I'm not making plans at all. I just had to take some photos to illustrate a newsletter about coursework deadlines that is going out to Year 11. As I actually took a photo that is safe for my 365, I thought I'd use it.

I'm also celebrating by doing something that I've never been able to do before. Liverpool Council, god bless them, have finally got round to setting up individual filtering rules for schools, so you can choose which sites you want blocking and unblocking for your own school only.

This means that we've been able to unblock Youtube so staff can use it as an educational resource and then we can block it ourselves to students. Similarly, I've now got Flickr unblocked, so I can pull down CC photos to use in our publications. And upload my own. :)


Your Ad Here


No comments:

Post a Comment